About Love INC Newaygo County
History of Love In the Name of Christ In Newaygo County
Love In the Name of Christ of Newaygo County (Love INC) was founded in 1987 by seven local area churches. Their desire was to help “The Church” meet the needs (physical, spiritual, and emotional) of people in the community by creating a network of resources and services that respond to community concerns while avoiding duplication of services. Today, Love INC of Newaygo County has over 300 community and partner church volunteers giving of their time, talents and resources to serve others. We are one of over 165 Love INC affiliates serving throughout the United States and in Kenya, Africa. Our mission is “To Mobilize local churches to transform lives and communities in the Name of Christ” by “Helping Churches Help People”.
Services provided by Love INC and our partner churches:
Love INC serves as a “Gap Filler” within the community, often filling service or resource gaps that arise. We are able to fill gaps more easily as we do not take government funding. Some of the services currently offered include:
- The Growing Hope Transformational Ministry (Financial Management Classes, Mentoring, and Personal Growth Classes). Personal growth classes cover a variety of topics such as nutrition, cooking on a budget, Bible studies, parenting, boundaries, time management, minor home repairs, auto care, etc.
- Food Pantry (964 Families on average in 2013, some with specialized needs)
- Wood Ministry (for heating homes)
- Project Ramp Ministry (building wheelchair ramps)
- Bunk Bed Ministry
- Quilting Ministry
- Holiday Programs: Christmas Family Assistance, Christmas Store
- Grant Men’s Ministry: Auction and Speaker Ministry
- Assistance through the clearinghouse. Needs are assessed on a case by case basis, verified, and directed or “cleared out” to the best sources of help. Often assistance is a collaborative effort of several ministries and agencies working together. Love INC looks at needs in the areas of housing, utilities, auto care, medical, clothing, furniture, etc.
As of September 2013, over 1,200 families are assisted each month in one capacity or another. It is our prayer that each person who walks through our doors would know that Jesus Christ is the lasting source of hope. We strive to continually mature in our capacity to meet people’s needs – spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Please come visit us, we’d love to share with you how the churches are serving in our community!
History of Love INC National www.loveinc.org
The idea for Love In the Name of Christ (Love INC) was conceived as a way to encourage churches to become more engaged with those in need and inspire a greater number of Christians to put their faith into action. Love INC’s founder, Virgil Gulker, was a social worker and outreach director in Holland, Michigan in the late 1970’s. Deeply committed to helping people trapped in poverty, he was certain God had called others to the same mission. Indeed he was correct and Love INC was created in 1977. It was not long before it expanded beyond the community of Holland.
Today, Love INC is a national ministry carried out by more than 9,000 churches in over 165 affiliates across the United States. The congregations and community partners that make up each affiliate are addressing serious unmet needs in their local area. While America is a land of prosperity and opportunity for some, millions of others are living in poverty. Love INC reaches out to these vulnerable community members providing tangible assistance, encouragement, and hope.
At the heart of Love INC are church and community volunteers, motivated by the desire to share God’s love and inspired by Jesus’ example of selfless giving. Love INC enables these volunteers to pool their time, talent, and treasure to create a network of resources and services that respond to concerns in the community. It involves compassion, collaboration, generosity, and action. It is volunteers working together to transform lives through the amazing power of love: Their Love, God’s Love, and Love In the Name of Christ.